Vision and Values
At Bordesley Green Primary School we care, we create, we champion…
individually we succeed, together we excel.
Bordesley Green Primary School encourages everyone to care by:
- Providing a happy, welcoming, secure environment
- Understanding, sharing and celebrating differences
- Nurturing children to achieve their aspirations
Bordesley Green Primary School inspires everyone to create by:
- Providing an engaging and creative curriculum
- Offering exciting opportunities and experiences
- Enabling access and participation for all
Bordesley Green Primary School expects everyone to champion by:
- Recognising and celebrating success
- Listening to the views of others to help shape our future
- Promoting personal development which enables everyone to identify and fulfil their individual potential
RESILIENCE EMPATHY SELF-CONTROL PERSEVERENCE EQUALITY COURAGE TEAMWORK
Preparing Children for Life in Modern Britain at Bordesley Green Primary School
We take our responsibility to prepare children for life in modern Britain very seriously. We ensure that the fundamental British Values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of the school. All curriculum areas provide a vehicle for furthering understanding of these concepts and, in particular, RE and PSHE lessons provide excellent opportunities to deepen and develop understanding.
Children embrace these concepts with enthusiasm and demonstrate a good understanding of their application to their own lives.
Our school makes considerable efforts to ensure children have exposure to a wide experience beyond their local community during which these concepts are shown, through, for example, sporting events, a range of visits and use of outdoor education centres. Their strong rooted values, based on understanding, gives them an excellent platform for embracing difference.
- Children in year 6 have the opportunity to apply to be a Prefect.
- All children are encouraged to share ideas and experiences and these are valued.
- All children are given the opportunity to take an active role in decision making and planning activities, such as year group attendance prizes, choosing their class read aloud book and what to have in a role play area in EYFS.
The Rule of Law
- Classes negotiate and agree their class rules during transition day.
- Behaviour, Rewards and Attendance is displayed in every classroom.
- The school reward system links to children following class and school rules.
- All children understand and adhere to expectations and boundaries made clear to them in different situations.
- Year 6 have the opportunity to visit the Houses of Parliament to learn how laws are made.
- All children have the opportunity to choose activities at break times.
- Children are given a choice of support tools and strategies to use during lessons.
- We celebrate each child’s uniqueness individually through Shining Star Assemblies and Star of the Week awards.
- The whole school PSHE scheme provides opportunities for children to make informed, appropriate choices.
- Pupils are invited to give their views on their own learning and progress as part of the monitoring cycle.
- There are many opportunities for children to choose Out Of Hours Learning activities and theatre visits throughout school.
Respect and Tolerance
- We actively promote diversity and respect through assemblies and celebrations of different faiths and cultures, for example Diwali, Eid, Christmas, Martisor and Romanian culture.
- Through following of the Birmingham Agreed Syllabus for RE, we actively promote mutual respect in our RE lessons.
- The whole school community supports a variety of charities: Children in Need, Comic Relief and the local food bank, for instance.
- We use positive images and resources that reflect the cultural diversity of our school, our community and Great Britain.
- We encourage children to share and celebrate their experiences regarding their faith and beliefs.