• Home
  • News + Events
  • Gallery
  • Governors
  • Staff links
  • Contact
  • New Admissions Sept 2021
  • COVID-19 Response
  • SEN Information Report

    Our Local Offer

    The Local Offer explains the services available to support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabled children (SEND) and their families. This document provides parents/carers with information about how to access services in the local area and what they can expect from the services in the local area and explains what we can provide as a school.

    Our school is supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific and individual needs, make the best possible progress in school. Our school strives to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting, wherever possible, with reasonable adjustment and where families want this to happen.

     How does Bordesley Green Primary School know if children need extra help?

                 We know when pupils need help if:

    How does Bordesley Green Primary School make a decision to monitor my child as having SEND?

    What should I do if I think my child may have Special Educational Needs?

     How will I know how Bordesley Green Primary School supports my child?


    Our current agencies involved in school:

    How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?


    How will I know how my child is doing?

    How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

     What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

    Bordesley Green Primary School offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional, social and behavioural difficulties.

    These include:

    Pupils with medical needs


    What specialist services and expertise are available at, or accessed by the school?

    At times, it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their specialist expertise.

    The agencies used by the school include:

    An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. They would normally only work directly with pupils whose needs are felt to be quite severe and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. These children may require a provision plan or an EHCP. They may also support emotional assessments and wellbeing sessions.

    In order to help understand the pupil’s educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after any assessments have been completed.

    They will then offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning or specific needs forward.


    What training will the staff supporting children and young people with SEND be having or had?

     Staff have received training related to SEND.

    This includes:


    How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

    Activities and school trips at Bordesley Green Primary School are available to all.


    How accessible is the school environment?

    As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

    If you have a child with physical difficulties, we strongly advise that you visit our school to ensure it is right for your child. We are an old Victorian building with many stairs and no option for stair lifts.

    We have an accessibility plan on our school website. Click here to see the BGPS school accessibility plan.


    How will the school prepare and support my child when joining Bordesley Green Primary School or transferring to a new school?

    Bordesley Green Primary School understands what a stressful time moving schools can be. Therefore, many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

    On entry:

    Moving into a new year group in their school:


    Secondary transition


    How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s Special Educational Needs?


    How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?


    How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

    All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

    This may be through:


    Who can I contact for further information?

    If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling, please contact one of the following:

            Appointments can be made with any of the people through the school office.

    TEL: 0121 772 1601

    I hope this has answered any queries you may have, but do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.

    To find out about the Birmingham Local offer for Special Educational Needs (SEN) visit the Birmingham Local offer website.



    We aim to ensure that SEND at Bordesley Green Primary school reinforces the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. These articles apply to the teaching and provision of SEND.

    Article 3 All adults should do what is best for you. When adults make decisions, they should think about how their decisions will affect children.

    Article 13 You have the right to find out things and share what you think with others, by talking, drawing, writing or in any other way unless it harms or offends other people.

    Article 23 You have the right to special education and care if you have a disability, as well as all the rights in this Convention, so that you can live a full life.

    Article 28 You have the right to a good quality education. You should be encouraged to go to school to the highest level you can.

    Article 29 Your education should help you use and develop your talents and abilities. It should also help you learn to live peacefully, protect the environment and respect other people.